Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Biting the Bullet - Menu Planning

I need to menu plan. It feels constricting, but I know that, like budgeting, it will actually be freeing. Now, I need a way to approach it that will be simple enough that I'll stick to it.

My goal this week is just to eat at home each night (except for Girls' Night Out on Friday). I am also going to use this week to start a list of main courses that we enjoy. And I'll have a list of dishes I'd like to try. Sunday will be my day to work out a plan for the week. I'll see what I already have in the fridge and pantry and what's on sale at the stores. Then I'll choose off of my list. I think I'll plan 6 dinners. I know we can do at least one night on leftovers and I'll eat leftovers for lunch. I won't assign a specific meal to a specific day, but each night I'll pick something for the next day's dinner and pull meat out to thaw or marinate if needed.

My goal in doing this is to make the most of the grocery budget and to keep us from eating out (with the exception of an occasional $5 pizza from Little Caesars).

Now that it's in writing, I guess I'm committed!

Tonight is leftovers. Guess I need to figure out what I want to make tomorrow. Maybe chicken enchilada casserole.

No comments:

Post a Comment