Friday, March 26, 2010

Coffee Friday March 26



Welcome!  Pull up a chair and grab a cup of your favorite beverage.

What a week!  I love my political talk radio.  Mark Davis, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin and Laura Ingraham accompany me throughout my day.  Mark is a local guy (who sometimes fills in for Rush) and is even-keeled.  I love Rush's optimism and his sense of humor.  Sean reminds me of what is good and true in this country.  Mark fires me up.  I love that man's passion!  But the politics this week have worn me out and I was getting weary.  So I turned them off for a few days and turned on the praise music.  Just what my heart and soul needed.

I love that God put the Isaiah and Revelation precepts in my path at this time.  There is nothing like studying God's word to put things into perspective.  I wish I weren't so new to Bible study, but I am very glad that I'm there now.

This was the first week back to school after spring break for my older son.  He's 8 and in 3rd grade and ADD.  Getting him up and ready in the morning is like herding jello.  He was tardy yesterday - completely his fault.  So we are making him more responsible for his morning routine.  I put together a simple chart and printed it out.  So far, this morning went well.  He set his alarm and was actually awake when Andy went to get him up.  I want very much to find the right routines for him, routines that make sense to him and will become ingrained so that they are second nature.  I want him to succeed.  And I'm learning, as a parent, that his success depends upon his failures and how he deals with them.  So my prayer is that God will let me know when to step in and when to step back and how to help and teach my son to handle his failures.

I work at the zoo this weekend.  We have a grand new exhibit open called MOLA - Museum of Living Arts. It's a wonderful herpetarium and a great addition to the zoo.

Since my younger son starts kindergarten in the fall, I have applied to be a substitute in our school district.  I was a math teacher in my life before kids.  While I don't want to go back to teaching full time right now, I think subbing is right up my alley.  I'm excited!

Easter is just a little over a week away and I'm excited!  It's my favorite holiday!  It's my favorite Holy Day.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by today! I so enjoyed your entry today and what a cute blog design. I so agree with you, we do have to keep all this "political stuff" in perspective. Not easy at times, but listening to praise music certainly helps. I do love my praise music. And, what a great paragraph about your son. Sounds like you are right on target. Many blessings to you and Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a pre-K teacher before but I don't think that's what I want to do when I enter into the workforce. I have a few years, but I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up. =p I'm glad you are learning better how to work with your son on his responsibilities. If we don't let them fail, they won't know how to do anything on their own. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm, I was NOT a math teacher and I am beginning to realize that I am not smart enough to continue teaching my eight grader his curriculum. How would you feel about coming to TN and teaching a nice homeschool math class? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So great that you are putting your son in charge of his routine and his life...You are teaching him how to be responsible for his own actions...so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to listen to most of those guys all the time too. We had to cut off our satellite T.V. last year so we don't get FOX News anymore. :( I can't stomach the mainstream media. It's been nice though to have a break from it all!
    Hang in there with your son. He is fortunately to have YOU for his mom! Someday he will appreciate you pushing him around like jello! :)
    Blessings,
    LydiaCate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the birthday wishes! And sorry I'm so late getting around. My weekend was packed.

    I've had to cut out the political shows all together because both parties just drive me crazy (I'm a disgruntled Independent). I catch the PBS Newshour a couple of times a week and some NPR, and that's it. I think it's easier on my blood pressure.

    It sounds like you're doing a good job with your son. I think one of the best things parents can do is let their children find out about actions and consequences. My Mom did that, and it's something I'm grateful for. I have friends who can't seem to be able to think logically about what consequences could come from what they do; it's all wishful thinking (my Dad tends to be this way). From a kid who's parents were on both ends of that spectrum, and who's Mom let her take a few falls and learn about consequences, I think you're doing the right thing.

    Oh and "herding jello" is one of the best descriptive phrases ever. I feel like I do that with my brain on some days.

    I hope you have a great week and Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete