Monday, July 12, 2010

Leviticus

I am finished with Genesis and Exodus and halfway through Leviticus.

I wrote earlier about the SOAP method.  I'm putting that on the back burner and will give it a go the next time I read through the Bible.

Instead, I'm just highlighting passages that jump out at me.

For example, Leviticus 5:1 is highlighted:
If a person sins because he does not speak up when he hears a public charge to testify regarding something he has seen or learned about, he will be held responsible.
What I take from that is that we are to speak up for the truth.

Another verse highlighted is Leviticus 5:4:
Or if a person thoughtlessly takes an oath to do anything, whether good or evil - in any matter one might carelessly swear about - even though he is unaware of it, in any case when he learns of it he will be guilty.
In other words, take your words seriously.  Be careful what you promise.

And Leviticus 10:3:
Moses then said to Aaron, "This is what the Lord spoke of when he said: 'Among those who approach me I will show myself holy; in the sight of all people I will be honored.'"  Aaron remained silent.
Two of Aaron's sons (priests) were struck dead because they offered unauthorized fire before the Lord.  God's commands are serious.

This is further than I've ever made in a reading-the-Bible program.  I look forward to finding nuggets in other lesser-known/read books of the Bible.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go on Leviticus! That book was the hardest for me. Too many rules! LOL
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete