Sunday, February 7, 2010

Chicken Noodle Soup

One of the greatest comfort foods around.  I love soup because you can make it your own.  Add this, take out that.  And I particularly love this classic.

1 TBS butter (I use smart balance)
1 1/2 cups carrots, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 lb uncooked chicken, cut into half-inch chunks
Basil
Oregano
Garlic
Salt
8 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups noodles

In large pot, saute' the carrots, onion and bell pepper in the butter. (I get the carrots started, then chop the onion and add it, then the bell pepper).




Season the chicken to taste with basil, oregano, garlic and salt. Put chicken in with vegetables and cook on medium heat until cooked through. 




Add broth and noodles.




Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.



You can use pre-cooked chicken, but I think it gives it more flavor to cook the chicken with the veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment